Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The turns and the pivots

http://www.pinterest.com/mirandadezeeuw/the-zumba/
Zumba Kitty is about to pivot!
When I first started Zumba, I couldn't turn or pivot. Aside from these, I can't really think of any other step that makes it so that you can't see the teacher. But these... I know from firsthand experience that looking away, even that briefly, can mess you up. You can easily see what the beginning of the turn looks like, it's the middle and the finish, as you transition to whatever is next, that are difficult. That back wall won't tell you the answer.


How then does anyone ever learn if they can't see? Well I can only tell you how I eventually learned. Turns and pivots weren't nearly as problematic for me as ball-changes. Not even close. I've said before how Rae and Jae both are really good about taking the time to break down steps if something is new, or if they see there are new faces in the crowd, or even if someone just asks for a refresher. If they demonstrate a turn or pivot nice and slowly, from start to finish with transition included, everyone can see what they're supposed to do, and they too can try it slowed down. Turns and pivots are one step that Jae and Rae will often teach a modified step for. It's like Rae says," People legitimately get dizzy." I happen to be one of those people, or I should say I used to be one. Once I got the hang of this turning business, I could turn or pivot side to side (left and right) with very little effort - I didn't get dizzy. Going front to back was somehow very different; strange yet true... Doing a front to back turn made my head swim. After that first time, when I nearly fell down, I decided I was going to stick with the modification for that song (Dance Bailalo by Kat Deluna).

Wait, didn't I just say four sentences ago that I -used- to be one of those people? Oh, yes I did. Remember Danza Kuduro by Don Omar? My favorite song ever? The one that Jae (in all her awesomeness) created choreography for? Well she included a front to back turn. I was initially dubious that I'd be able to do it but she waved that nonsense away and just taught me the step. Don't over think it right? Right. Then when she put the music on, some kind of magic happened (or maybe it was a miracle?) and I could do it full speed without getting dizzy. And in my head, the Price Is Right bells and whistles again...

So what's the answer to the first question? How -does- anyone ever learn if they can't see? Basically, the real answer is this: I got lucky. Lucky to find two teachers who both think that it's worthwhile to briefly pause and actually teach. Ladies, if you're reading this one, it really really is worthwhile! And thank you! To the rest of you, remember when I said it was important to find a teacher whose style fit you well? -This- is a great example of what I was talking about.

Best advice: If you need help with a step, just ask your teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment