Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The spring color palette, what do you think of it?



Whenever Zumba releases new clothing, I usually get really excited. This month we're seeing some new items, and I'm finding that's not especially true this time. The new clothing items were launched without much fanfare along side the brand new shoes which garnered most of the attention. While Zumba hasn't come right out and labeled it as such, my hunch, based on the styles and color palette, is that were looking at a spring collection; and likely a first installment at that.

I collected the colors to make it easier to see what I'm talking about. There's an almost "pastel quality" to a few of these, most notably "Move Me Mango" and "The Fog Prince". So, to sum up: we have black...we have three shades of grey...we have two shades of white...and four colors...only two of which are bright. Hrmm. I think this is a large part of why nothing in the new line is really grabbing me. The color scheme feels muted. I think this is especially noticeable when these clothes are compared to the shoes they were released with. Every pair of shoes is a bright, vibrant color with shine and sparkle. Even the black ones somehow...

Okay, so let's look at some clothes!
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/store/US/product/print-perfect-romper?color=Thunderin+Gray
Here is a prime example of what I am talking about. This is the Print Perfect Romper in "Thunderin Grey" (also available in "Zumba Green" and "Off The Chain White"). Clearly this is meant for the warmer months, and what I find interesting is that it appears to be intended more as every-day wear. I mean, can you picture yourself doing Zumba wearing this? I can't. If you can...well then I just don't know what to say that. I will say this for the new clothes overall though, I like that Zumba has included more every-day wear pieces, even if I'm not personally crazy about any of them.
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/store/US/product/long-asymetrical-tunic-z1t00592?color=Off+The+Chain+White
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/store/US/product/asymetrical-short-sleeve-tee-z1t00593?color=Off+The+Chain+WhiteAt the left is the Long Asymetrical Tunic in "Off The Chain White" (also available in "The Fog Prince"). Again, I'm going to go ahead and guess every-day wear based on the length. If you're wondering where the Zumba logo is though, it's on the back. Above is the Asymetrical Short Sleeve Tee. Looks a great deal like the tunic doesn't it? This one is in "Thunderin Grey", but it too comes in "Off The Chain White".

Enough white, black, and grey? Yeah, I agree. Let's look at some colors.
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/store/US/product/pretty-in-print-raglan-tee?color=Smoke
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/store/US/product/pretty-in-print-3-4-sleeve-top?color=Wear+It+Out+WhiteOn the left is the Pretty In Print Raglan Tee and on the right is the Pretty In Print 3/4 Sleeve Top. The short sleeve shirt is in "The Fog Prince" (also available in "Wear It Out White" and "Smoke") and the long sleeve shirt is in "Move Me Mango" (also available in "Wear It Out White" and "The Fog Prince"). You can see what I mean can't you, about the colors feeling muted? 

Alright, moving on to the two brighter colors... Here are the green and the other shade of blue.
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/store/US/product/so-shaded-loose-racerback?color=Zumba%20Greenhttp://www.zumba.com/en-US/store/US/product/print-perfect-boatneck-sweater?color=Bangin+BlueOn the left is the So Shaded Loose Racerback in "Zumba Green" and on the right is the Print Perfect Boatneck Sweater in "Bangin Blue". Even the green, which has been a constant color in Zumba's arsenal, looks strangely muted. And is it just me, or does this loose racerback look a little bit -too- loose? And long... Doesn't it look oddly long to you? It does to me, making it look a little like a racerback dress. The more I look at it, the more I wonder if maybe they put the wrong size shirt on the model... As for the blue sweater, while I do like the color a lot, I am not crazy about that print or that wide neckline.

Enough tops. Ready for some pants?
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/store/US/product/so-shaded-capri-leggings?color=Smoke
http://www.zumba.com/en-US/store/US/product/print-perfect-cargo-capri?color=Wear%20It%20Out%20White On the left are the So Shaded Capri Leggings in "Smoke" and on the right are the Print Perfect Cargo Capri in "Wear It Out White" (also available in "Have A Nice Grey"). Leggings... Sigh. I don't personally care for leggings as a general rule...and these are no exception. I just wanted you to see an example of the color "Smoke", so let's move along to the cargoes. If these were available in the green, and -not- as a print, I might consider them. Zumba finally put long ribbons back on the pockets! Hooray! Here's a better view with the grey pair:
The ribbons have stripes! That I love! But what I don't love is the pattern on these. Plus, I already own three pairs of black cargo pants and I just feel like these are too similar to what I already own. As for the white pair, I will never (as in never ever) buy white cargoes. Everyone knows what happens to white fabric when it gets wet and sweaty.

These are just some examples from the new collection. I chose not go over every piece this time, like I did when the Gold Collection was launched. By comparison, I personally find this collection a tad boring and thus I felt I would have bored myself (and probably you too my dear readers) with this post if I had to go on much longer about it all. But if you want to see the complete line, click here. Spoiler alert: there aren't any new cargo pants.

Best advice: Let's look forward to spring. If you live in the Midwest (or any cold weather place), you're probably as sick to death of winter as I am. Unless you're one of the "crazy types" who loves winter sports. Heh. Do they really exist or are they just the stuff of legend?
Zumba's looking ahead to spring and so am I. I don't know about you dear readers, but I'm more than ready for a little warmth and renewal.


I am neither affiliated with or endorsed by Zumba Fitness (beyond being a simple instructor) - Just an interested shopper with an opinion!

3 comments:

  1. When and where did these come out? I haven't seen any of these items :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was interesting. These were available for about two and a half weeks and then they were mysteriously gone from the shop. I wrote this post somewhere in the middle of that time. Speculation is that they were simply released too soon by mistake and that we'll eventually see them again. The clothing available now is advertised as being "Part I" of a four-part launch. It's possible that we'll see the items I posted about in an upcoming part. Then again... It's Zumba and they are full of surprises. ;)

      Delete
  2. I noticed that the "infamous" romper was back... I figured it was a matter of time. I wonder how popular some of these pieces will be? I wasn't that impressed the first time.

    ReplyDelete